Do Your Search Here:

Google
 

Nuffnang

Sunday, December 07, 2008

Monopoly (Proprietary) of Technology... AVCHD.

Shot videos using Panasonic HDC-HS 100 HD video camera. Quite happy with the quality and able to view it crystal clear on LCD TV. (Mine is just a HD Ready, 1080p TV).

All good until I wanted to share the video with my friend using a DVD Burner from Panasonic - VW-BN1 DVD Burner. Well, it only accepts DVD-R, it is a minus DVD, NO plus +DVD.
This is still ok. Not an issue yet.

Then I did manage to burn the video to the DVD and when I try to play on DVD player, it says:
"Format not recognized. Unable to play video."

Why? It is due the proprietary format - .bdmv format video! From what I found from the internet, only Blue Ray DVD player and PS3 are able to play it. Not even on computers.
This is really frustrating. Why this occur? The 2 big boys - Sony and Panasonic who signed the memorandum to hold on to this technology introduced it into their products.
This has caused alot of inconvenience for video sharing. What is the point of burning the DVD when your friends can't view it?

I have no choice but to do it the old fashion way, to copy to my laptop and convert it again.

No comments: